As much as I talk about taking less stuff – especially clothing – to maximize your mobility and happiness when traveling, my commitment to minimalism goes out the window when it comes to remedies. I call this my “Natural Travel Remedy Kit” but it’s really broken down into other mini-kits: my Bulletproof coffee kit, my stomach kit, my sun protection kit, my bug repellent kit, etc until I come to the realization that I am a natural medical supply hoarder. If it comes down to it, I’d rather a couple of bikinis, a couple of dresses and three suit cases of pill bottles, ointments, and powders. I’m kidding, but I will say the total size and weight of my Rescue Remedy Kit exceeds all of my clothes combined.
For Da Belly:
- Activated Charcoal – I love these black capsules so much! They work wonders on everything from Bali belly to a nasty hangover and naturally detoxify your system.
- Shelf Stable Probiotic – Any probiotic you take traveling must be shelf stable because you are likely to be away from refrigeration for long periods of time. A fun fact about probiotics are that while you should take them as a preventative measure, they can also be used to treat symptoms as they arise.
- Ginger Chews (Kids and Big People) – We will use these for upset stomachs and motion sickness on the boats.
For the All Day Surf Stoked Grom:
- Electrolyte Hydration Powders – Surfing all day out in the heat depletes some serious electrolytes and the easy way to end your dream trip fast is to get dehydrated. I’ve got a couple types of sugar free electrolyte powders to pound post surf along with lots of coconuts.
- Magnesium Calm – Great for sore muscles and getting to sleep so you can get up at the crack of dawn to surf again. Did you know that most people are magnesium deficient?
- Magnesium Pills – For when we run out of Magnesium Calm.
- Natural Sunscreen – I avoid eating chemicals and toxins so I certainly don’t want to slather them on my skin. I have a natural spray and lotion. For more on sunscreen click here.
- Face Stick – Even if I look like a lunatic, I will put heavy layers of face stick on to block the rays from my lips, nose and ears. My all time favorite is Shisedo.
- Coconut Oil Lotion – All that sun and salt water really dries out my skin, so I bring a good old bottle of coconut oil to rehydrate!
For Hitting the Reef or Kicking Rocks
- Arnica Pills and Salve – Great for bumps and bruises that I enviably occur on the road and while surfing.
- Antiseptic powder – This stuff is great for drying out wounds in tropical locales.
- Colloidal Silver – You can put colloidal silver on everything – cuts, wounds, ear and eye infections.
For the Sickies:
- Zinc tablets – Since we’ll be traveling on three airplanes and one boat to get to our destination, I am anticipating feeling a bit run down. Thus, I packed our usual immunity boosters zinc and vitamin C.
- Vitamin C – See above.
For that Tropo Life:
- ParaKito Bracelets – I am very excited to put these natural insect repellent bracelets to the test in the tropics! If they work, I am going to buy stock.
- Natural Insect Repellant – As a back-up.
- Silica 15 – For those pesky surf related rashes that seem to pop-up everywhere when you go from winter to summer.
For the Mind
- Brain Octane – Of course, I am not leaving home without my Bulletproof Coffee kit which includes a big and a small Brain Octane for coffee making during all sorts of adventures.
- Mushroom Coffee – I got these Four Signmatic Mushroom coffee packets to use when it was hard to find a decent cup of coffee or an apperatus to make one.
- Collagen Protein – For my Bulletproof.
- GABA – This stuff is like a natural Zanax… It helps induce relaxation and sleep and I use it on planes and when my the voices in my head won’t stop chattering – like the night before a flight.
The Hard Stuff:
- Children’s Panadol – to break a fever
- Phenegren (Children’s and Adults) – For motion sickness emergencies. After all, we are doing an overnight boat crossing with a two year old in peak Indonesian swell season.
- Antiseptic soap & spray – Keeping staph infections at bay.
- Ear Plugs
- Natural Surf Wax
The best thing about this Natural Travel Remedy Kit is getting to road test it!!! I am not a hypercondraic and I’m not afraid to wing it so my kit is probably less than fully comprehensive, but I’ll rest easily tonight knowing I’ve prepared for all the crazy things that normally happen. Ok world, bring it on!